On The Sharpening Of Carving Chisels

There are lots of ways to do things especially in woodworking. I know, I know, your way is the right way and my way is probably wrong, but that's beside the point.

Once I got my hands on some quality carving chisels, my next question was "Ok, how do I sharpen them?" Leonard Lee's book on sharpening is great and has always been my bible in this arena, but he is wont to use jigs and gadgets. I was sure it could be simpler than making a dozen shaped blocks of wood charged with buffing compound.

I looked around a little but couldn't find any body not sharpening chisels without slip stones or a shaped buffing wheel on an electric grinder. Necessity is a mother (and mother's only half a word), I understood what sharp was, I needed sharper chisels, and what did I have to lose by figuring it out by trial and error with the items I had on hand.

Thus I arrived at the simple technique I use today. It's as dumbed down as, "Rub the area you want to sharpen against an abrasive surface." But there are others out there starting to carve and I get the occasional email or question on social media. Instead of responding via a novel length text based dissertation on what I do, I decided to just shoot some video.

The best part? I'm not trying to sell you anything. Use what you have, adapt the technique to work for you.


Ratione et Passionis
Oldwolf

Comments

  1. Incannel gouges are easier with shaped stones though. Not much use in carving though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Results are the key. I sharpen the same way myself.
    And damned be he that first cries Hold,Enough!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simple process and verifiable result, what else can one ask for? Thanks for the details.

    Neil

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts