Reason and Imagination


"Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning"
C.S. Lewis


At a recent visit to the Milwaukee Art Museum I ran across these great gaming boxes and boards. They are from the 1500's. Ebony with Mahogany and Ivory inlay.


I've been working on finishing up my current project, a carved bible box out of mahogany. I was thinking about a different take on it when I started looking at this piece in a different way.


What do you see when you look at this piece? What are the details that jump out and speak to you?  In a while I will show you what detail I saw after I looked at these pictures several times over.

Ratione et Passionis
Oldwolf

***

One more note,, I'll be spending Saturday in Milwaukee at The Woodworking Show, I attended last year and had a great time, especially getting to meet and visit with Andy Chidwick and his great family. I'm looking forward to this year as well, I'm fixing to pick up a couple turning tools and hopefully some spalted maple stock, beyond that I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing from presenters like Roland Johnson of Fine Woodworking Magazine and Tommy Mac from Rough Cut TV.

If you have a chance and have one of The Woodworking Shows visiting near you I suggest you take and afternoon and spend some time. You won't regret it. And if you are in the Milwaukee area and you recognize me wandering around the floor. Stop me and say Hi. I'd like to meet you.

-Derek


Comments

Popular Posts