First Intention, Then Enlightenment


"It is spiritless to think that you cannot attain to that which you have seen and heard the masters attain. The masters are men. You are also a man. If you think that you will be inferior in doing something, you will be on that road very soon . . This is the same as the Buddhist maxim, 'First Intention, then enlightenment.'"
-Excerpt from Hagakure: The Book of the Samurai
recorded sayings of Master Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Translated by William Scott Wilson

Ratione et Passionis
Oldwolf

Comments

  1. May I use this posting in my blog, Please.
    Sincerely, Ian W

    walwoodwork@gmail.com
    blogthetoolstore.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't see any reason why not Ian. I'm flattered you appreciate my insight here. Email me if you need anything specific. oldwolfworkshop@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is that you're building, Derek?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can actually see two projects in stages of completion. The box clamped down to the bench is the joined sides of the unconventional bible box I've been writing about recently. A little bit more in the back ground is the William and Mary book stand I recently finished writing about.


    There is a difference in the nature of my shop and the nature of the blog. Often times I have more than one project going on at a time, all at various stages. For example here I am getting ready to clean up the recently glued up dovetails of the bible box with a plane and the book stand is waiting for me to glue up the feet to the frame.

    Here on the blog I try to write about one project at a time as opposed to jumping back and forth, I also tend to be a couple weeks behind here as opposed to what I did yesterday in the shop.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts